Blog Journal 9

     Flipped classrooms are an interesting topic, and something I have some amount of experience with. Last semester, I took an online class that meets the definition of a flipped classroom, and found it very interesting, if flawed. I would define a flipped classroom as any class where the bulk of the learning occurs outside of the classroom, and where the students are largely on their own. This format has nearly infinite potential, and as communications become easier I imagine flipped classrooms will become more popular. However, many subjects are simply too complex for students to learn without constant teacher guidance.
     I believe OERs are incredibly valuable and will only become more useful as more and more OERs become available. I am currently writing a very long history paper, and online resources are incredibly helpful. I have found very useful primary sources completely free on the web. This page has a letter directly from a British nobleman available to anyone who wants it. The utility and importance of OERs cannot be overstated.
     I had only a very rudimentary grasp of powerpoint before working on assignment 5, but I am far far more comfortable with powerpoint now. Being able to disable linearity and use animations and buttons is very useful, and I imagine I will make use of it in my career as an educator.

Comments