Blog Journal 4

     I have been a frequent twitter user since 2014, and so making an academically focused twitter was interesting, as my usage of twitter thus far had been strictly social. Given that I am entering the graduate school here at FSU this fall I followed a lot of FSU related accounts, mostly related to history. I have not interacted with these accounts very much as they mostly exist to share news and events. Many FSU History professors have twitter accounts, and so as a history teacher I could definitely use twitter to keep up with them and see new articles or conferences or anything else that might pique my interest.
     I am still not convinced the digital divide is as much of a problem as some people believe it to be. While it is absolutely true that some students have more access to technology at home than others, the nature of this technology when compared to technology used for educational purposes in the classrooms are very different. I believe that the technology students use at home and that which they use in the classroom are so different that little, if any advantage will be enjoyed by students from more technology focused backgrounds. In addition children are quick learners and technology is generally intuitive, and so any initial advantage will likely quickly be erased.
     As basic as it sounds I would love to make use of wikipedia in my classrooms at some point. I believe that wikipedia is a flawed, but still very useful source of basic information about basically anything one can imagine. I would encourage my students to look for more reliable sources within wikipedia and pursue any interest in particular topics there. JSTOR is also incredibly valuable as a database for scholarly sources in history, and if my school had access I would love to show my students around it and teach them to find things.

Comments

  1. Since teachers and history teachers love Twitter. They tweet about everything that is related to the subject and you can find connections from almost everything... I always enjoy reading those posts comparing to meme or funny pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment